Minutes – Parish Council Meeting – 12 June 2017

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON MONDAY 12th JUNE 2017

Present:  Parish Councillors: M Russell (Chair)  M Tomlin, B Fitzsimmons, P Smith, C Smith, A Palmer, H Palmer, L Skelton, Ward Councillor K Collins, Clerk A Whiting, 25 members of public

 

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION

Q: Will there be a sign warning of the Speed tables when all the work is finally finished.

A: It is not yet known what signs there might be, but Clerk will ask Highways

  1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Apologies received from Cllrs: S Eacope, M Morland

 

  1. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – Cllr Russell – Payments

 

  1. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – It was RESOLVED minutes of 8th May 2017 were a correct record and signed by the Chairman

 

  1. PROGRESS UPDATE FROM LAST MEETING

All items requiring attention are on this meetings agenda. Nothing else to report.

 

  1. TO RECEIVE CHAIRMAN’S ADDRESS

Cllr Russell spoke of the success of our first Open Day on Sunday last and thanked everyone who contributed to it. There were many attendees and it is very useful to have face-to-face conversations with residents. It was so useful we are thinking of making it an annual event.

 

  1. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM CENTRAL BEDFORDSHIRE COUNCIL

Travellers are in area again but they are only a couple of vans on someone’s land legally with their permission.

 

Local Plan will be out to public consultation 4th July to 29th August (providing CBC Executive approves – which they are expected to do).  In it there is an extensive development proposed “Land West of Luton” which is similar to the previous development proposal known as ‘Bushwood’ which directly and substantially impacts upon Caddington and Slip End, consisting of between 2000 and 4600 homes.

 

There will be 2 drop in events;  One for the public (as well as Parish and Town Councils) on 9th August at Caddington Sports and Social Club, the other for Town and Parish Councils only at Priory House, Chicksands on 18th July.  All residents and the parish council are encouraged to view the plan attend open event at Heathfield and makes comments before the deadline date of 29th August.

 

  1. CADDINGTON & SLIP END NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN

Cllr Skelton stated that we have gone through the process of drafting a Neighbourhood Plan where we have identified some housing. Will the Neighbourhood Plan when agreed protect us from this sort of development.

Answer: Yes it will.   Cllr Skelton stated our Neighbourhood Plan needs to be completed as soon as possible.

 

Cllr Collins stated that the Local Plan needs to be adopted as soon as possible as well and that failure to have an agreed Local Plan gives developers more opportunity to submit large scale speculative applications. and he and Cllr Stay will be trying hard to ensure that other options elsewhere in the Central Beds area are considered for development rather than this one.  Local Plan to be placed on next Planning agenda.

 

  1. TO RECEIVE UPDATE/REPORT RE: HEATHFIELD CENTRE

Cllr Fitzsimmons reported that our Neighbourhood Plan states there should be provision of a centre on the site at Heathfield. We and Heathfield user groups are still very concerned about how long the centre will be closed before a new building is up and running. Is the new centre guaranteed, as it seems that maybe the CBC Assets Team do not share our desires for the site. Another option would be to refurbish the current building, which although it is appreciated it is not perfect, it would be better to have what we have already got than lose it. It is a very well used and good facility for the village.

Cllr Collins stated that currently the building costs £50k a year (it was noted that this includes rates payable to CBC of £14k).

Cllr Collins stated that he and Cllr Stay had a strong desire for a 100% funded centre to replace Heathfield on the site. We are uncertain if it will be possible to 100% fund it but it may be 90% or some other percentage, the remainder being funded somehow from within the community.

Clerk to request meeting with PC Chair, Cllr Fitzsimmons and Heathfield reps. with Asset Portfolio Holder Cllr Steve Dixon.

 

  1. TO DISCUSS VIRGIN MEDIA WORKS ON THE GREEN

Clerk informed meeting that he had been inundated with complaints of various types regarding Virgin Media works and that he had attempted to get responses form Virgin, but they were not forthcoming. A complaint about the trench across the Green had been taken to managerial level, awaiting reply. There is an event on Wed. 14th June 6-8 in Club for potential customers to Virgin. Complainants may also wish to attend.

Item moved to end of meeting to take in closed session.

Cllr Palmer stated that in discussion with workers and managerial team at Virgin re. their illegal digging up of the Green he was less than impressed with their attitude and lack of apology or offer to put right their mistake, and later in discussion with the Clerk had suggested that they be asked to contribute in some way to the community in way of apology.

It was agreed that the Recreation Club’s car park was in need of repair and that Virgin be asked to supply tarmac and machinery in order to resurface it for them. If they refuse this, council to pursue getting some sort of financial compensation from them. Quote byelaws do not allow damage of Green.

Clerk to ask BATPC about legality of us taking such action.

Clerk to ask Highways CBC to check all Virgin’s work before it is signed off.

 

  1. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM BEDFORDSHIRE POLICE – Crime report;

ASSAULT OCCASIONING ACTUAL BODILY HARM    12/5/2017 07:30  –  HYDE ROAD

BURGLARY – BUSINESS AND COMMUNITY

09/5/2017 05:26  –  MANOR ROAD

23/5/2017 17:30  –  CHAUL END VILLAGE

BURGLARY RESIDENTIAL  – DWELLING    19/5/2017 09:30  –  MANOR ROAD

COMMON ASSAULT     03/5/2017 22:00  –  HYDE ROAD

CRIMINAL DAMAGE – OTHER PROPERTY (NOT BUILDINGS)

07/5/2017 14:00  –  CHAUL END ROAD

16/5/2017 03:45  –  LUTON ROAD

PUBLIC ORDER – CAUSE INTENTIONAL HARASSMENT, ALARM OR DISTRESS     24/5/2017 19:30  –  HYDE ROAD

 

  1. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM THE PLANNING COMMITTEE

Minutes circulated to council. Cllr Palmer spoke about recent applications; Eden Brae for which another application of many is in for them to build a garden centre and other works. Cllr Palmer informed Council that committee had always been totally in support of a new garden centre there. Somehow other works have gone ahead but still we await the garden centre. We have insisted that this time the garden centre must be built otherwise there is no support from us on any other works there.

 

We had received another application;

CB/17/01981/FULL  34 Hawthorn Crescent – Demolition of existing dwelling to erect 3 detached dwellings.

 

We have a policy of no back garden developments in the village of this type. Cllr Palmer sought agreement with the council that they support the position of the planning committee and also write to Planning and Highways pointing out there is not adequate parking on site, and it is overdevelopment of site, as per planning committee comments. Agreed – Clerk to write to CBC accordingly.

 

  1. TO RECEIVE AN UPDATE FROM CADDINGTON WATCH

Speed Watch  Have requested that the two splays at the Caddington Woods entrance be risk assessed by Traffic Management. Once approved, we’ll be able to run some sessions.

Street Watch Two sessions per week at the moment.  We will attempt to have a daily presence at the Village School until they break for the Summer Holidays Last week we were there each morning. Have established a procedure with the Police for reporting drivers who park on the zig-zags.

 

Neighbourhood Watch Caddington Watch and the Parish Council have purchased lights, CCTV cameras and signs for installation at the rear of Collings-Wells Close. Installation scheduled for Wednesday. Matthew has had the vegetation that was obscuring the street lights, to be removed.

 

  1. TO RECEIVE A HIGHWAYS REPORT

Clerk reported he is arranging a walkabout in the village on 12th July morning with CBC Highways inspector to point out all the faults and problems regarding general highways issues and Virgin and other utility company works. Cllr Tomlin and Fitzsimmons also to attend. Issues raised at consultation will be passed to highways as well.

We are still looking for someone to take over as our Council Highways Rep.

 

Folly Lane Street Light – Clerk attempting to contact Tingdene rep. to ask them to agree to locating the light and feeding the electricity supply from their electrics.

 

  1. TO DISCUSS 2ND DEFIBRILLATOR FOR VILLAGE & POTENTIAL LOCATION(S)

Cllr Fitzsimmons explained we can get a 2nd defibrillator and were looking at a location in Mancroft Rd near Crosslands but Highways refused to grant a feed off their street light, (when walkabout occurs Cllrs to ask them again if this is possible) as that would be ideal location.

If that location not possible, somewhere in vicinity of Allsop’s yard might be another location worth exploring.

 

  1. TO DISCUSS PARISH OPEN DAY INITIAL FEEDBACK

Clerk reported at least 111 people attended the event, (this is a conservative estimate as many had come through a 2nd door and not been counted) which was considered to be a success. Cllrs and Clerk were in attendance to answer questions and take up complaints on behalf of residents and residents made numerous valuable contributions to various subjects council have been discussing, for which we are very grateful. Clerk thanked Heathfield Friends for all their hard work and refreshments, which were gratefully received.

 

  1. RECEIVE GENERAL CORRESPONDENCE – FOR INFORMATION ONLY
  2. i) Residents of The Lodge – council reasons for keeping bus shelter.

It was noted we have not received from the contractor a formal offer to remove the the bus shelter, and that although the public bus to Luton does not use that stop, the shelter is still used by local groups and school children to shelter when waiting for their transport. When the council discussed the shelter in June last year council unanimously agreed to keep the shelter with these issues in mind and consider the matter closed.

 

  1. ii) Virgin Media – event 14th June, at Recreation Club, between 6-8pm. Noted

 

iii) Pre –school – request for cake stall on Green 24th June – agreed. Clerk to ensure they sign agreement and ask that they do not park cars on Green.

 

  1. AUTHORISE ACCOUNTS FOR PAYMENT WITH 2 BANK SIGNATORIES TO SIGN CHEQUES
ChequePayable to:Payment DetailsGrand Total
SOASK Accounting ServicesPayroll service£23.70
DDDCSPhone£11.23
DDBTCCTV line service rental£269.40
105876Village Garden ServicesGrounds Maint May ’17£608.62
105877A WhitingMileage,office exp & consult. Supplies£127.19
STOA Whiting Clerk salary May 17£1,219.97
105878HMRCPAYE April 2016£299.57
105879Beds Pension FundPension contributions May 17£412.32
105880Darren HunterParish warden salary – pay balance£19.41
105881Darren HunterLeaflet delivery for Open Day£120.00
105882Trent FurnitureChairs/tables for Rec. Club£2,446.80
105883Light in the BoxSecurity light Collings Wells Close£32.95
105884Playsafety LtdROSPA annual checks 3 play areas£336.00
105885Playsafety LtdROSPA annual checks Pond£79.80
105886Heathfield FriendsOpen day hall hire and refreshments£66.00
105887Collings Wells HallHire of hall Defib. Training£20.00
STODarren HunterParish Warden Salary£500.59
STOJohn DudleyAllotments sec. payment June 17£45.00
  Total£6,638.55

 

Public Participation:

  1. Concern re. Eden Brae site application
  2. Attempted break-ins recently – CCTV needs updating so that we know we have a good effective working camera centrally located which any burglars will have to pass to get in and out of the village. Clerk to put on next agenda. Council to ask Virgin at their open evening re. broadband for CCTV. Cllr Tomlin, Cllr Palmer, Clerk and Mike Grain to meet to determine what is possible.

iii. Concern re. back garden developments – it was noted there had been one agreed some time back in Dunstable Rd

           

Meeting Closed at 9:10pm

 

Signed…………………………………………………………….Dated: ……………………………….