Minutes – Parish Council Meeting – 11 September 2017

MINUTES OF THE MEETING OF THE PARISH COUNCIL HELD ON MONDAY 11th SEPTEMBER 2017
Present: Parish Councillors: M Russell (Chair), M Tomlin, A Palmer, H Palmer, M Morland, L Skelton, Ward Councillors K Collins, R Stay, Clerk A Whiting, 11 members of public

PUBLIC PARTICIPATION
CBC have issued a questionnaire on gritting – asking which roads people want gritted. Can Folly Lane be gritted this winter (if required)? It was noted Folly Lane is a private road. CBC tend to focus mainly on major roads and bus routes. Cllr Russell to complete a gritting questionnaire on behalf of PC.
Agenda for next meeting ‘To Review Gritting Schedule’

Scouts Association are looking to create a river of poppies to commemorate the fallen in WW1. Cllr Palmer stated we could look at putting a line of poppies along where the daffodils are on the Green.

Resident was disappointed that the consultation run by CBC Planning about the Draft Local Plan. Officers could not identify the exact land that 2000-4600 houses would be put on under Option 5, so that people could not fairly make a judgement and comment on the plan.

1. APOLOGIES FOR ABSENCE – Apologies received from Cllrs: S Eacope, B Fitzsimmons, P Smith, C Smith

2. DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST – Cllr Russell – Payments, item 21

3. APPROVAL OF MINUTES – It was RESOLVED minutes of 10th July 2017 were a correct record and signed by the Chairman.

4. PROGRESS UPDATE FROM LAST MEETING
Folly Lane Light – progress has been slower than we wanted, but Tingdene have been positive about siting the lamp and connecting to their distribution box within the site. Awaiting Highways plan of where the lamp will go and where the cabling will be laid.
CCTV – awaiting options from Digital CCTV – meeting to be arranged in future. Further companies to be asked to give options/quotes.

5. TO RECEIVE CHAIRMAN’S ADDRESS
Reminder that it is the Village Show this Saturday at which we will present the Villager of the Year and Organisation of the Year awards.

6. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM CENTRAL BEDFORDSHIRE COUNCIL
Cllr Collins reported that council meetings are now being webcast. He reminded the PC of the existence of Overview and Scrutiny Committee – this is where the real examination of council’s work gets done, and they have their own email address and will consider any reasonable suggestions re. CBC work and issues from parishes. Email is; email hidden; JavaScript is required

Online Portal Live has been set up re. registering for Council Tax etc, and should make processing and changes to personal details much quicker.

Highways has been reorganised – pleased to report Jill Cross still oversees Caddington.

Currently consultation on Traveller sites – there are 2 problem sites at Billington. Council is proposing a new site nearby these ones which will be set up and run by the council. When up and running the intention is to close the two other sites.

Highways – Dunstable Rd – there have been issues and concerns re. speeding and there was a crash in the area between Manshead and the Village. Cllr Collins inspected and drove the road with the Team Leader of Traffic Management. After inspection the Team Leader suggested that CBC could do a ‘Route Treatment’ to refresh signage, lining etc. but no changes to the speed limit. He suggested it might cost in the region of £10k. (with rural Match Funding Caddington PC would therefore contribute £5k). Agenda for next meeting.

7. CADDINGTON & SLIP END NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN
Cllr Stay reported that the plan started in 2011. It is lodged with CBC and is out for a 6 week consultation. When it goes on CBC website we may also put it on ours. After examiner passes it, it will go to referendum. When consultation is complete the plan begins to carry more weight as a planning document. This is timely as the next stage of the Local Plan (although that is a senior document) it cannot ignore our Neighbourhood Plan.
To clarify the Draft Local Plan Reg. 18 – Option 5 does not have a defined line around it. CBC is asking at this stage what people, think of it. Roger Shrimplin, our Planning Consultant has made a strong case that Option 5 is unsustainable and undeliverable. When Reg.18 is finished CBC will assess which sites will or will not go forward to the next stage, Reg. 19.

Cllr A Palmer asked why the CBC website was so difficult and complicated to use and submit a comment? Many people had complained and were frustrated by the process. Cllr Stay agreed it was overly complicated.

There was criticism it was done at holiday time. Cllr Collins confirmed this was not deliberate, as the plan needs to be adopted as soon as possible so that it is in place to defend the area against opportunistic developers.

Cllr Palmer stated that bus timetables had been issued showing Caddington Woods on various routes. It is noted that these routes probably will not be in service for at least 12 months. The Community Trust (made up of CBC Cllrs and Developer) intend to bring the bus service in when sufficient affordable housing has been built.

8. UPDATE ON CONSULTATION ISSUES
i) Highways – Cllrs and CBC Highways had a walkabout from which (and from consultation day) Highways were given a long list of defects and issues.
ii) Parks – Cllr Tomlin and Clerk met with several parents and rep. from Mother and Toddler group to talk about potential areas for improvement at the parks. As Toddlers Group is a charity they may be able to apply for funding that the PC cannot. Clerk to explore Lottery funding on behalf of the PC
Next step is to ask for quotes from play equipment companies. Once council agrees, then funding can be applied for. Most funding will require match funding from the PC.
Agenda next meeting – Discuss Increase Funding for Parks
iii) Heathfield Centre – had a very positive and productive meeting with CBC Cllr Dixon and Officer Joe Welch. Awaiting a plan of options from CBC
iv) War Memorial/Church yard – several large clumps of trees at the churchyard which are immediately in front of the war memorial are to be removed in coming weeks by PCC. PCC have asked PC if the hedge by the wall can be taken down to ground level as it is getting high again. Meeting after 20th September with PCC rep. re this issue.
Cllr Morland spoke of the Remembrance day arrangements; It was Agreed to;
• send invitation to Oststeinbek this year (as last year our event dates had clashed).
• order 2 wreaths, one for our event, one for Oststeinbek, & 30 wooden crosses
• Cllr Morland to contact Leanne Hardy re. stakes & net fence that the football club use, to put at strategic places stop graves being trodden on.
• Clerk request road closure as per last year – from Holly Farm Close to Hyde Rd.
• Clerk to ask John Harper of Caddhist for refreshments as per previous years
• Cllr Morland to ask if Dave Tims can do the role of honour again.
Agenda for next meeting

9. UPDATE FROM HEATHFIELD CENTRE
Nothing further to report aside from the meeting with Cllr Dixon. In future this item to be moved further up the agenda so that CBC Cllrs can hear it and contribute, if necessary.

10. NOTE CADDINGTON AND SLIP END COMMENTS RE. DRAFT LOCAL PLAN
A document had been drafted by the 2 councils and their planning consultant and submitted. Document can be found on our website.

11. REPORT FROM PLANNING COMMITTEE
Cllr Palmer thanked all the planning committee for working and having meetings throughout August, which should have been a ‘recess’ month for the holidays, but that meetings were needed to make sure we responded to the Local Plan.

12. TO RECEIVE A REPORT FROM BEDFORDSHIRE POLICE – Crime report;
08/8/2017 09:30 – Non-Crime Recordable – Undisclosed Address
08/8/2017 10:45 – Victimless Crime – Awaiting Update – Undisclosed Address
12/8/2017 16:08 – Class B Cannabis – Possession of a controlled drug with intent to supply.
Possession of Firearm or Imitation Firearm, with intent to cause fear of violence Hyde Road
13/8/2017 00:05 – Unauthorised taking of Motor Vehicle – Hyde Road
20/8/2017 11:30 – Theft of Motor Vehicle – Hyde Road
23/8/2017 12:38 – Harassment – Undisclosed Address
25/8/2017 16:50 – Public Order – Fear or Provocation of Violence – Dunstable Road
27/8/2017 23:18 – Domestic Dispute/Incident – Undisclosed Address
28/8/2017 09:06 – Criminal Damage (To Vehicles) – Luton Road

13 – CADDINGTON WATCH
After an August break, Caddington Watch are active again.

Speed Watch aims to be out twice per week and will concentrate on roads leading from the centre of the village, including the section of Chaul End Road that is 30 mph.

Street Watch continues to help at the Village School patrolling the parking at pickup and drop off times. As well as patrolling the village in the evenings.

The solar light and camera installed in Collings wells Close has had great effect and since its installation there has been no further reports of crime or antisocial behaviour.

Last month we had news that PCSO Juliet Write has been moved from her position of Watch coordinator for Beds Police, and this roll has been given to someone else with no experience of the roll. This is really bad news as she has been in charge of overseeing the running of the police watch schemes from the beginning and has not only been our point of contact but also has single handedly set up watch schemes across Bedfordshire giving us her unquestionable support at any hour of the day.
I am appalled by the way Beds Police have handled this and the way it treats its own officers.
Some schemes across Bedfordshire have already folded because of this news and I hope Caddington can continue to operate in the way it has been over the last few years.
Agreed to invite Police and Crime Commissioner, Katherine Holloway to one of our meetings

14. TO RECEIVE A HIGHWAYS REPORT
Virgin Media – Cllr Palmer had written to Virgin requesting compensation after a meeting with their foreman where he admitted liability for digging up the Green without permission. No reply. Cllr Palmer to follow up and chase. Clerk to ask BT to reinstate their trench across Green and ask for compensation.

15. NOTE NEW ALLOTMENTS TERMS AND CONDITIONS
Terms had been emailed to council and were noted. It was noted that bonfires area allowed under both our and Allotments insurance, but that only supervised fires in certain locations at an agreed time would be allowed by the Allotment and Leisure Gardens Committee. Permission would be sought for fires. Cllr Palmer queried whether we should be allowing fires as they release harmful CO2 into the atmosphere. Agreed we as a council should consider having an environmental policy.

16. PARISH CALENDARS FOR 2018
It was noted that residents commented they preferred A5 size calendars, with pictures of old Caddington scenes, as opposed to paintings. Council greatly appreciated the work of the school, but council agreed that the next calendar features pictures. Possibility of approaching Caddhist for old pictures and of using, if relevant and possible pictures from Village Show competition and school children.

17. BUS SHELTER
It was agreed to brighten up the shelter by Warden painting with anti-graffiti paint, and placing of a ramblers map and parish and community noticeboards.
As it is too low for hanging baskets, explore possibility of window boxes on the Chaul End side of the shelter.

18. CHRISTMAS LIGHTS
Feedback from public was that the blue/red lights were not popular. It was agreed to purchase 24 new white lights to replace all the lights on the 6 trees.
Clerk to ask Electrafit to test to make sure they do not trip out again.
Ask Michael Grain for his key to electrical box on the Green and get spare set of keys cut.

19. RECEIVE GENERAL CORRESPONDENCE – FOR INFORMATION ONLY
Resident – complaint traffic calming Chaul End not having desired effect for traffic exiting village – CBC are investigating. Clerk to clarify with CBC if any more resurfacing is to be done at Chaul End Rd.
Anonymous – Motorbike parking on track on Green. No-one at meeting had seen this bike. Clrs will look out for it and if it is parked there a letter will be issued informing resident that byelaws do not permit parking there.
Luton Airport Public Surgery – Heathfield Centre on Wednesday 20th September between 4pm-7pm. Noted.
CPRE – response to CBC Local Plan – emailed to Cllrs, & noted.

20. ACCEPT & APPROVE COMPLETED 2016-17 ANNUAL RETURN CERTIFICATE FROM BDO EXTERNAL AUDITORS
The completed 2016-17 Annual return and certificate from BDO Auditors was approved and accepted. There were no matters which came to their attention. The annual return and notice of conclusion of audit has been published on the noticeboard and the website.

21. AUTHORISE ACCOUNTS TO BE PAID
Cheque Payable to: Payment Details Total
SO ASK Accounting Services Payroll service £23.70
105900 Village Garden Services Maintenance (Aug), water baskets, warden cover £1,699.56
105901 Village Garden Services Baskets/beds July, replace baskets, duck pond signs £632.40
105902 Mark Russell School Award reimbursement £55.00
105903 BDO auditors External Audit £480.00
105904 EDF Electricity – Rushmore £55.62
105905 Electrafit Checking power Xmas lights £78.60
105906 Castle Water Allotments waste water £196.13
105907 HMRC Tax/NI Sept. 17 £299.57
dd DCS Telephone charges £10.84
STO John Dudley Allotments management – Sept17 £45.00
105908 Affordable Companies Allotment draft terms – printing £24.00
dd BT CCTV £269.40
105909 A Whiting Office allow. Sept, mileage, supplies, 2 plaques, no parking sign £211.98
STO A Whiting Salary £1,219.97
105910 Darren Hunter Salary – 2 months adjustment for wage discrepancy £6.06
105911 Beds Pension Fund Pension 412.32
STO Darren Hunter Parish Warden Salary £520.00
Page Total £5,827.83
2 bank signatories signed the cheques and bank mandate increasing Warden salary to £523.03 per month as per NALC approved salary scales.
Direct debit set up for E-on electricity. Clerk to ask how metre is read.
Discussion re. water company metre at the allotments, which is read by Castle Water – how would we know about leaks?

Public Participation:
1. Water company monitor high water usage for leaks and would notify owners to repair and refund any extra charges because of leaks.
2. Do we know how many people responded re. draft Local Plan? A: Not until we get published figures from CBC.
3. When is Xmas light up event?. A: 3rd December 2017
4. Support for cutting of hedge at Church as in some places brambles hanging over path
5. Suggest putting bench near the brick bus shelter
6. Concern re. Parking cars on speed table – A: Highways have been asked to put back the double yellow lines that went round the junc. From Dunstable Rd to Manor Rd to stop this dangerous parking there.
7. Suggest also putting noticeboards in wooden shelter as it is well used and nearer facilities etc. Can the shelter be solar lit for evenings? Clerk to ask Electrafit.
8. Suggest an art wall on side of brick shelter and encourage an artist to paint it.
Meeting Closed at 9:40pm

Signed…………………………………………………………….Dated: ……………………………….